Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Marugame Udon


Couple weeks ago, Jakarta's weather was unpredictable. A sudden change from hot & sunny to heavy rain happened pretty often. I remember that day I was on my way for a solo late lunch while suddenly it rains heavily and I was thinking it would be good to have a hot soupy kind of lunch, so I went to Marugame Udon, a recently opened Japanese restaurant with specialty in udon and tempura. Coming from Japan, they open their first outlet at Mall Taman Anggrek. 

Their concept is self service where we queue to order, pick what we want, paid and take the order by our self to the table. To ensure the fresh quality, the tempura will be taken and change with the new ones within every 20 minutes. There's a section filled with chopped garlic, chilli, soy sauce, etc for us to freely take what we like.




I chose Niku Udon (Fresh udon with sukiyaki beef in kake dashi soup) 45k. As I was lunching by my self that day, I was planning to only have a bowl of udon, but as I slide my tray aside to the tempura sections, I can't help my self to take 3 of them and end up with left over as it was way too much for me to finish. Zero regret though, as all the tempura were delicious. Fried in big cuts and surprisingly not oily at all. I chose Kakiage (vegetable tempura) 10k, Sweet potato tempura (7k) and Ebi tempura (14k). As someone who loves soupy food, I found their udon amazingly good. Enough seasoning, the udon was cooked in the right timing so it was not mushy, I can still felt the springiness. Overall to me, it was a warm heartfelt lunch in a rainy day. 

Oh yes, one of the restaurant's policy is to take our used bowl & trays to a designated place by our self after we finished our meal. It's actually a common thing to do in most countries especially countries with low human resources so they need to minimize the job desk. However, in Indonesia, we are spoiled with helps so taking back our used bowl & trays after we finished our meal is something uncommon to do here. During my half hour lunch, I saw none of the customers did that. Well, it was not entirely wrong, as I said, different culture. Tough personally, I felt it would be good to respect their policy while we dine in their restaurant. Just a thought.



Marugame Udon
Mall Taman Anggrek 3rd flr
Jl. S. Parman Kav 21
West Jakarta
Ph. +6221 5639451

Other branch: Gandaria City, Kota Kasablanka

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hai FoodBlogger ikut Blog Contest Luve Litee yuk! Berhadiah Iphone5 lhoo.
Klik http://eskrimlowfat.com/blogcontest/

Ina Damayanti said...

Could not agree more on the "clean as you go" thing. Let us start with ourselves and our family at least. I think eating with clean tables around is always prettier than flies surrounding you.